DescriptionOur Food Vans are out on the road heading to 14 locations across Western Sydney providing piping hot meals to those who need it the most.
Join our team of dedicated Van Assistant Volunteers who help our drivers to provide fresh, hot, nutritious meals out into the community to people who are experiencing homelessness and disadvantage.
Van Assistants help to load and unload the mobile food vans at the Ashfield site and travel with the van to its service locations to help set up for service and distribute meals to vulnerable members of the community. Volunteers are not required to cook meals or drive the van.
- Be fully COVID vaccinated
- Have a valid NSW Working with Children Check
- Reasonable level of physical fitness, no pre-existing injuries or conditions that may be affected or exacerbated by the role.
(Volunteers will be required to complete a Health Declaration Form).
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Good personal hygiene
- Patient, punctual and reliable with a positive, can-do attitude
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to take instruction and direction from the Supervisor/Van Driver
- Desire to help others and to contribute to a charitable organisation
Lunch Van and Twilight Van shifts start and finish on site in Ashfield. Van Assistants travel out to the service location(s) with the Van Driver and back. If you prefer to meet the driver at our designated location(s), we ask that you let us know on booking your shift.
The following shifts start from our Ashfield site:
- Morning Van from 8:30am - 9/9:45am (7 days a week)
- Lunch Van: from 9:30am - 2:00pm (7 days a week)
- Twilight Van: 2:00pm - 6:00pm (Sat & Sun)
- Dinner Van (Miller): 5:15pm - 8:30pm (Wed, Thurs, Sat, Sun)
- Dinner Van (Surry Hills) 5:15pm - 9:00pm (Wed)
- Dinner Van (Redfern) 5:15pm - 9:00pm (Frid)
- Dinner Van (Woolloomooloo): 7:30pm - 8:30pm (7 days a week) PLEASE NOTE: Woolloomooloo volunteers meet the van at the food service location.
If you are looking for a way to positively contribute to your community and work within a team that is passionate about helping others, apply today!